When you like to make stuff people sometimes want to know what tools you use. So, with that in mind, here’s a list of the main tools I use for work and fun.
(Updated January 10, 2016).
• Apple 13″ MacBook Air – Purchased in early July, 2012. Core i7, 512GB SSD, 8GB RAM. Great machine.
• Apple 21.5″ iMac – A new addition to the office as of May, 2013. This one features Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB Fusion Drive and more. Yes, it’s the thin one.
Apple iPhone 6 – It’s bigger and, for the most part, better. Love the new and improved camera and the bigger screen. I had the first iPhone and haven’t looked back.
• Apple “Retina” iPad Mini – I love the smaller form factor and find myself picking this iPad up more and more instead of its larger brother. Great device. It’s completely replaced my Kindle Paperwhite too.
• Google Drive – This is a great service, along with Google Docs, and one I use every day.
• Dropbox – I had left the fold for a while, but now I’m back. It’s just so useful I couldn’t stay away.
• Apple Mail – It has some issues, but I still use it for several of my email accounts.
• Mailplane – I like an OS X app for all my Gmail accounts and this one is the best.
• Pixelmator – A great photo editing and cropping/resizing tool I use every day on the Mac.
• Lightroom – I’m taking more pictures these days and find I need a program that handles them all with ease and helps me get the best prints I can at home. In the past I used Photoshop all the time, but I’m giving Lightroom a try to see if it meets my needs. So far, I like it. But I do have Photoshop as a backup … just in case.
• iA Writer Pro – When I want a distraction-free writing environment and I’m not working on a script, I’m using iA Writer Pro. Great app that does what it does very well.
• Transmit – The best FTP software available for OS X. Period.
• Field Notes Notebooks – Even though I love technology, I still use a notebook frequently. These notebooks rock and are small enough to take pretty much anywhere. I always have one handy, just in case.
• Rhodia Webnotebook – After using my venerable Moleskines for over fifteen years I made the switch to these notebooks from Rhodia. I love the way they’re put together and how well the paper holds ink. It’s really smooth. Beautiful notebooks that are a pleasure to use.
• Mirado Black Warrior pencils – My favorite pencil of all time.
• Palomino Blackwing 602 pencils. One of my new favorites. Sure, they look kinda weird, but they write nice.
• Uni-ball 207 – The best gel pen I’ve ever used.
• TWSBI Diamond 580 Fountain Pen – One of my recent “gadgets” is this great fountain pen. It’s not cheap, but man it is fun to write with. My handwriting has improved too.
• MoccaMaster Coffee Maker – This amazing coffee maker from the Netherlands is the ultimate device to make coffee at home. I use it each and every day.
• Baratza Preciso – If you make coffee at home, you need a good coffee grinder. This one does the job very well.
• Benchmade Mini-Barrage – I think having a knife with you at all times is a good thing. It definitely comes in handy several times a day. This is one of the best, made in the USA, by one of the top companies in the business.
• Victorinox Swiss Army Cadet in Black Alox – Why have one knife when you can have two? I usually keep this one in my left front pocket with my keys and the Benchmade clipped to my right front. It also has the requisite bottle opener, small screw driver and nail file, just in case.
This site runs on WordPress and is hosted at same.